Wednesday, March 07, 2007

 

Changes

A ton has happened since my last post.

I got really sick due to black mold exposure (in my housemate's room--it was growing through the wall from a leak behind). She moved out of the room in December, but I wasn't aware of why. Anyway--long story short it involved respiratory problems, nosebleeds, nausea and a blistering rash so bad that I lost the use of my hands for a while and was incapacitated. I had to move out of my place (sans stuff). I couldn't work. I went to the doctor 4 days out of 5. Steroid shots, Prednisone, heavy duty antiboitics...such has been my life. I stayed at a hotel in SC and T. commuted every day to her job (1 1/2 hours each way) and looked after me at night because I wasn't well enough to move to her place, and I couldn't do basic tasks like dressing myself or getting food, nevermind driving or other life activities.

Alas, I'm now up here (Oakland). The next phase of "getting rid of" has begun. Tara is making room for me and my books and clothes and various things, but I still need to pare down. I've had like 7-8 boxes of books in her lower area for ages. I'm going through them and getting rid of most of them. They are largely academic film, women's studies, glbt, literary and cultural studies books. To buy them new would cost thousands of dollars, and I'm not exaggerating. But just because they cost a lot doesn't mean I have to hang on to them.

I was reading a decluttering your mind to declutter your space book and one thing it said really resonated...It talked about how "messies" often stress over what to get rid of and fear making the wrong decision. Should I toss this book, or is the other one better to get rid of? What if I choose wrong?

The book also pointed out that messies get caught up in "overorganizing". I know I do.

I am trying to keep things light and just do what I need to.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?