Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 

Clutter B-Gone

I need a big, industrial-sized bottle of "Clutter B-Gone."

I'm tired and sick (missed work Monday) and there's stuff everywhere. I've been taking my laundry up to T's--there's nothing like driving your dirty socks 75 miles each way when there's a washer dryer feet outside your bedroom--because I haven't been home enough to do them! This translates into a LOT of schlepping. Plus there's the weekend duffle bag of clothes, books, dance shoes etc. that almost always needs to be unpacked, repacked or rooted through (usually for a misplaced item or two).

Things are about to get worse for a bit, but I'm hoping they will eventually get better. I found out yesterday that I need to move a file cabinet (tall, about 100lbs) out of K's back room and over to my place because the ceiling is leaking and the landlord is coming over to replace the carpeting on the weekend. We were supposed to go through it etc. and it wasn't a big hurry kind of thing. But now it is. And of course I'm sick and have NO time. I think people feel I'm exaggerating when I say I have no time...

Here's a look at what this week should have been, if I hadn't gotten sick. Keep in mind this doesn't include time for things like cleaning, laundry, bathing, eating etc.:

Monday,
5 AM: Drive 80 miles to work
7AM-3ish PM: Work
3ish PM: Drive 75 miles to SF to tutor (takes about 2 hrs with traffic)
5:30-7:00 Tutor
7:00ish: Drive to Oakland (about a 1/2 hour drive), arrive around 8PM.
Tuesday:
5 AM: Drive 80 miles to work
7AM-3ish PM: Work
3:30 PM: Hair appt (to fix that frumpy bag-lady look)
8:00 PM-10:30 PM: Dance Practice

Wed
7AM-3ish PM: Work
3ish PM: Drive 75 miles to SF to tutor (takes about 2 hrs with traffic)
5:30-7:00 Tutor
7:00ish: Drive to Oakland (about a 1/2 hour drive)

Thursday
5 AM: Drive 80 miles to work
7AM-3ish PM: Work
3:00ish-6:00ish: Clear room in room, Move filing cabinet
6:45 PM-9:30 PM: Dance Practice
9:30 PM: Clean Ruby's cage, pack for trip

Ack. Typically my Thursdays are even worse, with a 4-5 PM appt and teaching 7:30-8:30 followed by practice from 8:30-10 PM.

As you can see, I'm not off socializing or doing anything other than the necessities (working to earn money, and doing dance practice for the perofrmance troupe I committed to). On an ordinary week, I typically teach two dance classes as well.

My friends (and partner) say to cut back, but I'm not sure how to do that. I feel like I've already given up much of what I love (socializing with friends, my own Latin and Standard dancing). I can't quit the performance troupe until the end of January when our performances are over, because it wouldn't be fair to my dance partner(s) or the group as it would mean my partner(s) or someone else in the troupe would have to sit out as well. I also often have work that takes me past 3 PM so the 'breaks' between my workday and my evening activiites/work disappears in those cases.

Skimping on sleep is something I already do, and which isn't great for me. I don't have the $$ to pay people to do my laundry or cleaning (besides, it's just one bedroom and it's full of stuff I need to figure out how to live without--like my toolbox, and computer etc--or pile up more creatively).

I am truly open to ideas...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?