Wednesday, March 16, 2005

 

Don't organize before decluttering...

Here's something that has helped me a lot.

I used to buy containers etc. for things that I was going to organize and declutter. Guess what? I often bought enough to organize all those things I wasn't going to keep. Having the room, the organizational acumen and the containers to hold almost all my junk didn't make decluttering easy. In fact, it made it easy to keep things. (Hey, that large ceramic unicorn I found at the garage sale could nestle *right here* between the little blue smurf figurines my sister's kids left on the porch last summer.)

If you don't love it, use it or need it for a functional purpose, it's clutter, even if it fits in the drawer. Toss it or pass it on. Just because you have room, doesn't mean you have to fill it.

My advice: Don't just organize. Figure out what you want to keep first, then organize what's left. And hey, you can probably afford to buy a few really nice containers rather than the 20 crummy ones you'd have had to put up with if you needed to buy in bulk!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?